NEWS AND UPDATES
KEY THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE 2017 BASSMASTER ANGLER OF THE YEAR TOURNAMENT
Where will the event take place?
The tournament is hosted by Grand Casino Mille Lacs, and events will primarily take place at the casino in Parking Lot A (on the south side of the casino building, in front of Mille Lacs Corporate Ventures’ offices). The parking lot will be closed September 11-13 for event staging through the conclusion of the event on September 17.
Where do Guest’s park?
Casino Guests will be able to park on-site throughout the entire week. Bassmaster event attendees will be allowed to park on-site on Thursday, September 14 and Friday, September 15. All Bassmaster event attendees will park off-site at the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe’s powwow grounds on Saturday, September 16 and Sunday, September 17 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. A shuttle will provide transportation from the powwow grounds to the events at Grand Casino.
What is the tournament schedule?
Thursday, Sept. 14
- 6:50 a.m. – The full field of anglers launch on Mille Lacs Lake. Public launch viewing is available each day from Eddy’s Resort (41334 Shakopee Lake Rd., Onamia, Minn.)
- 3:45 p.m. – Official weigh-in takes place at Grand Casino Mille Lacs (777 Grand Ave., Onamia, Minn.)
Friday, Sept. 15
- 6:50 a.m. – The full field of anglers launch on Mille Lacs Lake
- 3:45 p.m. – Official weigh-in takes place at Grand Casino Mille Lacs
Saturday, Sept. 16 (No Competition)
- 11 a.m. – Bassmaster University welcome with Dave Mercer and the AOY leader
- 11:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Bassmaster University, featuring seminars taught by Bassmaster Elite Series pros and staff.
- 12 p.m. – Bassmaster Elite Series Outdoors Expo/Mille Lacs Community Festival with national and local vendors opens for the day
- 4 p.m. – Champions Chat hosted by Dave Mercer with the Top 5 in AOY points and the Rookie of the Year leader.
Sunday, Sept. 17
- 6:50 a.m. – The anglers launch for the final day of Toyota Bassmaster Angler of the Year Championship competition
- 12 p.m. – Bassmaster Elite Series Outdoors Expo with national and local vendors opens for the day
- 3:45 p.m. – Official final weigh-in for the Toyota Bassmaster Angler of the Year Championship at Mille Lacs starts at Grand Casino Mille Lacs
Bassmaster Elite Series Outdoors Expo/Mille Lacs Community Festival activities include:
- Meet and greet with celebrity Elite pros for autograph and photograph sessions.
- Free kids activities, arts and crafts and food vendors
- A chance to purchase the latest line of fishing wear from Huk Performance Fishing wear
- Power-Pole will have several active displays and will be selling their latest products and merchandise
- The Berkley experience trailer — http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkley-experience-trailer.html
- Follow your favorite pros on the water with up-to-the-minute updates on BASSTrakk.
- Stop by Humminbird and Minn Kota for a Q&A session with their pro staff.
- Free boat and motor demo rides from Skeeter, Yamaha, Nitro, Triton and Mercury.
- Toyota will be at the event with interactive displays and activities such as — designing your own lure and a NASCAR video game.
- And more!
If you’re interested in covering this event or setting up interviews please fill out the media credential request here.
Local resort and vacation destinations have collaborated to launch a website to showcase the region for visitors. To explore lodging, entertainment options or more information about the tournament, please visit http://fishmillelacslake.com/.
About Grand Casino
Grand Casino Mille Lacs and Grand Casino Hinckley are owned by Mille Lacs Corporate Ventures. The casinos feature gaming, accommodations, dining, conference and banquet facilities, live entertainment, and The Grand Harmony Spa and Grand National Golf Club at Grand Casino Hinckley. The casinos directly employ more than 3,000 people and cover more than 4,000 people with their insurance plan. The Band taxes these entities at 100 percent and utilizes the revenues to provide health care, education, and other programs and services to Band
Mille Lacs ranked No. 1 bass lake in the nation
Mille Lacs has been losing its identity as a leading walleye lake in the Upper Midwest, but it keeps gaining attention for great bass fishing.
The big pond in central Minnesota today was named the best bass fishery in the country by Bassmaster Magazine. The 2017 rankings put Mille Lacs No. 1 overall in a listing of the 100 Best Bass Lakes in America. The iconic central Minnesota lake ranked sixth on the same list a year ago. It dethroned Toledo Bend Reservoir, holder of the top spot for the past two years.